Saturday, October 3, 2009

Belize in 2010

Stephen will be 13 in mere weeks. I am shocked and stunned that I will have a teenager. But I digress. The youth group he belongs to has been planning on going to Belize. One of the couples from our church have been going there for over 6 years and helping out some churches, orphanages, and getting the local youth involved in activities. This past January a small group went with them to see what type of missionary work we as a church could be doing for the people there. One of our pastors went and felt we needed to be more involved. The idea then surfaced that our youth group should go down. The churches that we have affiliated with have an abundance of children. There are waaaay more kids than adults. So, who better to send than our youth.

Last night was the parent meeting for the trip. They wanted to let us know the dates - end June into July - and the types of involvement our kids would be having while down there. As mentioned above they would get the opportunity to help in an orphanage, assist in a VBS, and go out into the village to speak to the kids their ages and younger.

What makes this a fabulous place to go is that Belize is an English speaking country. While located in Central America, it was owned by the Brits, so they speak English. There of course will be some type of communication barrier but for the most part it is not a new language to have to learn or even know!!! While I am still torn about sending him soooo far away from us, I am also confident with the leaders that are going and know that I can trust Barb to be his "momma hen" while I am not there. And trust Gregg to be "pappa".

Stephen is excited and nervous (I think) about going. He did ask if I was going too! He is looking forward to going. Over the next few months they will be raising money to make the cost more manageable. Let the fund-raising begin. Stephen will also be "working" towards earning money that the church will put into an account so the kids don't spend it.

My baby is growing up!!!!

2 comments:

  1. Hi, first love the new look for the blog!

    Wow, Stephen is growing up! We know they need their own space, but it is so hard! He will do great!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an awesome opportunity for Stephen. I will pray that the trip touches his heart. i know my trips have been a great way to help me appreciate all we have and even get to do here in the states. He is going to love it! Why not go with him Mama? Something to think about!

    ReplyDelete

2023 in Pictures