Saturday, May 30, 2009

Workshops and relatives

Okay, today was the NJ homeschool convention for Bill and me.  We picked up a friend and off to Edison NJ for the convention.   We made really good time.  Saw many different vendors and looked at lots of curriculum.   This was more just in passing as I am pretty set on next year's choice.   Stephen is my one that will be more hodgepodge.   I know what I want for him in regards to Language arts/Literature and Math but still trying to piece the other subjects.   

Well today we were able to pick up some really good choices for writing and some fun choices for listening/audio books.   Both of these have me soooooo excited I am almost tempted to start them with only days left of this year.   The most exciting thing for me is that we will be doing both Stephen and Abigail for the writing curriculum.   This is a tremendous plus.   We also chose the DVD option and they will be sitting down for only 30 minutes to listen to what the lesson will be.   Oh how I am in love with this.  Plus, it is really a great set up with how the build the process of writing throughout the entire year.   Okay I am just so giddy!!!    The audio books were more for Joshua as he loves this type of venue and it will be a nice filler of time productively when I need to be one-on-one with another child.   

While there we went to two workshops.  Each one was for our two older children.  Abigail was on strong-willed child.   Although the approaches/strategies were not anything new the insight the speaker had was tremendous.   He was a strong-willed child and was able to explain so much from their side of the world.  This helped me greatly.    As I usually walk away scratching my head because I truly don't understand!!   Very helpful.   The second was on schooling teenage boys, excuse me, I mean young men.   This too was insightful as I am not one!    It really did help me to understand a lot of where Ste is coming from and where he will be heading over the next few years.   The end result of course is don't give up or in.  These years are extremely crucial.    He wanted us to look into the future  - I mean way into.  Like when our young men will be out of home and raising their own.    That too helped as we are typically looking towards the here and now with maybe college as our future goal.   He reminded us that if our goal was college we would succeed but it would be at a great cost.  That really hit home with me.   While I know I will be the grumbling complaining Mom of a teenage son, I also know it is worth more than gold to train him accordingly.   

With no other things to see, we headed out to get some dinner together.   We went to Macaroni Grill.   Was very good.  Very filling.   I guess I should let you  know the relative part of the title.  You see my brother and (almost) sister-in-law came over today to hang with the kids while we were away for a large number of hours.   While I know they would be okay, I also know that heads can bonk severely and that would not be good.   The kids had a great time.   They went over to the pool here at the complex and enjoyed themselves.  They were like little protective Mama and Papa bears.  There was some rowdy boys that were playing a little rough with my Abs and they were ready to step in and thrown down if needed to.   It was such a sweet tale to hear.  I know beyond a shadow of doubt that my children were loved and protected in a mighty way and that is such a comforting feeling.    

I am now eager to finalize our school year choices for next year and then begin enjoying my summer.  Soon, as the kids have some testing occurring next week and then I will be done with major things and we will be working on skills throughout the summer time.    Looking forward to hanging poolside and oceanside in these next few weeks.    

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like it went great! I would love to hear more about the audiobooks lessons. We listen to lots of books on CD, so I think I would be in love too! :) Do share.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. We'd like to hear more about the writing. Anything that can make you excited about asking your kids to write, has to be good! We are off to CHEO on Thursday and Friday this week. I'm taking the kids so Reilly can look at the curriculm materials and get just as excitied as I'll get! Hopefully, it will be a good time.

    Glad your convention went well and you had some insightful moments. Glad Josh was feeling well enough that you could go! Blessings! D2

    ReplyDelete

2023 in Pictures