Friday, March 20, 2009

Zoo and GPS

Thanks to Dana - one of the homeschool Moms in Ohio - we had the opportunity to go to the zoo today and view it a little differently.  (Once again Carla made sure we could tag along on this field trip too!  She is so good to think of us!)  The time was spent as us being "detectives" walking around Asia Quest with a GPS and following clues to a mystery. Well not really a mystery but we had to help the zookeepers keep a criminal in jail, who had been caught the night before after hours in the zoo, with all the different clues we found. It was a fun idea. Now don't get me wrong, I LOVE the zoo, however, it is always nice to do and experience it in different settings. That occurred today as we were more interested in following our little GPS's then even looking at the animals. (I did happen to take a few photos of some of the animals - but most are of our group during the adventure.)
Let me just start by saying if anyone knows me you know that I like to run a tight ship. With that being said, at one point I kinda went overboard and had to raise my voice (shocking I know (and this is why Carla will stop inviting me) - lol) to remind the group I was with to wait for everyone.  Now I need to back up and explain something. You will see from the pictures that we had about 30 children present but each "team" was about a group of 6-8 children. The group I was in had the 8. So after the first couple of points we went to, which was very chaotic, I lost it and made sure they understood that we ALL needed to work together and not going running ahead. You see for every 2 kids there was a GPS and each set had a different role and each point we went to spoke specifically to certain roles (I hope this is making sense.) Once they realized they could not get the information if they were not the correct "people" for that point, it went better. 


Carla was the secretary and took down the notes from the clues.  (Also notice the boys taunting the goose - that decided to take flight and not attack.  Crazy boys!)
Two of my favorite 6th grades girls. (not in my group) Reilly and Tana.
Doesn't it look chaotic?! There were still two other teams not in photo!  Note the children looking down at screen.
Reilly, Olivia, and my Abs! The happy face is that Kelly was running the show.  (A zoo worker that Abigail has known since she was 4.)
This table has the group I was with!  It consisted of Ryan, Stephen, Casey, Brendan, Patrick, Kyle, Thomas, and my Josh!  Yes, all boys!
Overall loads of fun!  And it is all about the kids - so as long as they had a good time so should I right?   You would think... so at 4:45p my friend invited me over for some appetizers and a glass of wine.  Do you think I said yes?!?!?!   Thank you, Suzanne!  ;}

2 comments:

  1. Now that I think about it......I should have just crashed happy hour! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We should go to the zoo again!

    ReplyDelete

2023 in Pictures