Monday, February 15, 2010

These crazy teen years!



It is a roller coaster ride in this household.  My teen of only 3 months is both amazing and confusing all at the same time.   He gets kudos from people on his manners, his eagerness to help, his willingness to be available, his ability to stay on focus and not allow the pressures of what others say change his thoughts or inhibit his responses, and many more things.   But when he gets frustrated he becomes frustrating.   I adore him!   I really do.  It is such a great age and I really want to take these months to speak so much truth into his life.   I am always reading up on the latest about what teens are exposed to.  One of the ways the exposure occurs is via books.   Stephen is an avid reader and I cannot keep up with him!   I am thankful that we are using a program that has him reading loads of classics that he finds interesting and wants to continue with the series, if there is one, or try another book by the author.   But with all the buzz and craziness about vampires and other dark elements in teen literature, I read and rely on Pluggedin.com.  I take what I can from the reviews and apply as much knowledge on the subject matter that I can.  And I use it as an opportunity for many discussions with him.   I am thrilled that we have this wonderful relationship where we can and do talk about everything.   As awkward as some topics are, I am a big fan of him hearing it from me than others (books included)!   In one of the articles at Pluggedin I came across this statement and it is one that is sticking with me for truer words are hard to come by:


"Sometimes when we wade into dark, frightening, permanent territory, we're tempted to take up residence."


I know for myself it becomes very easy to allow a little of the world in and before I know it it is a slippery slope I find myself struggling to climb.  I know as a parent I want the best for my children and that means helping them to not make some of the mistakes I have made.  I want them to learn from my mistakes but I realize that they must learn from their own.  I just want to be accessible and available for them to come running to in their time of need, concern, and confusion.  I am very fortunate that Stephen is like me so I am able to read him and I think that helps him to feel understood.  I worry about Abigail as she is a stifler.  Her phrase is "I don't want to talk about it."   Which means we really need to discuss it!  


Having my children home has given my so much opportunity to get to really know who they are, how they think, and how they respond.  I am not saying you can't know your children if they are schooled out of the home.  All I am saying is that it really has been an eye-opener for me and I am truly blessed to have this chance.  


While I know we are only beginning the teen years (I calculated and due to the ages of my children I will be in the teen years for the next 12 years!) I look forward to this journey with anticipation and trepidation.   I know that there will be times when I want to hang 'em high and times when I won't want to let them go.  So you will most likely find me on my knees before the One who will carry us through this time of our lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment

2023 in Pictures