Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Toughest Critics

These last two days were doctor visits.  Yes, we finally made it to the doctor for their well visits that are suppose to occur prior to school beginning.  But due to the move and that they couldn't book any new patients when we needed we had to wait 3 months from the initial phone call.  

Tuesday brought me driving around like crazy.  Since Abi and Josh were finishing their class at the farm, I dropped them off to their grandparents early.  Helene was great and fed them lunch and took them to class, then picked them up and drove them back home.  (She really saved me some time.)  I left straight from Bordentown, NJ and drove to Phila, PA to pick up Stephen to take him back to Yardley for a doctor visit.  (I'm tired all over again.)

So far I give the office a thumbs up in regards to timing of appointments and not making you wait.  We have not waited more than 5 minutes. AMAZING!  We were a little early which was okay.  The doctor was great.  She really got a big kick out of Stephen and they way he spoke about his siblings.  She thoroughly enjoyed how tough he was on himself in regards to physical activity and his eating habits.  (Now just a  reminder he has been doing football since the first week in August.  And not to forget that he injured his heel thereby preventing him from doing physical activity.)  But when she asked him about his activity he said he needed to start getting in shape as he had been lazy.  Then when asked if he felt he was a good eater by eating healthy, he was again tough on himself.  Last week was his birthday and since then he has partaken of more sweets than normal but trust me, he eats healthy.  His weight and BMI and were they should be. 

So on Wednesday morning/early afternoon round 2 and 3 occur with the young ones.  This time we have a different doctor than yesterday.  I did not care for her drilling questions to Abigail once she heard she was homeschooled.  You would have thought that I locked her in the basement the way she was asking her about friends, and activities outside the home, was it her choice to homeschool and did she like it.  (I was just thankful that my daughter was not aware of the tension in the doctor's voice and she answered superbly.  By superbly I mean truthfully.  Anyone who knows us knows that we get out and about.  It is so disappointing to see the same old concerns about homeschooling.   They really believe the children do not get any social activity whatsoever.  So I was abundantly glad when my kids could rattle off all that we do.)  But when asked about her eating habits she too felt she should be eating better.  Know some of you have seen my kids eat (especially Abs) and know that they eat and eat a healthy variety.  So once again the laughter about how tough they were on themselves.  (One week Abi's lunches were her making sub sandwiches - complete with lettuce and tomato, salad for her and her brother,  organic ranch dressing with carrot chips and cucumber slices.)  They eat fruit every single day and yet are still hard on themselves when they have a piece of candy.  So funny!!!

After she saw Abs, she went over to Josh asked most of the same questions and all went well.  He loves homeschooling and it shows so she moved on to eating habits and he said that sometimes he eats good.  Once again, she and I were both laughing.   Yes, my kids like their sweets and yes they probably get sweets 5 times a week but they are usually small in number, homemade, and organic in nature. 
We seldom eat out anymore, very rarely buy processed foods, and almost never buy prepared foods.  So trust me when I say they have a very healthy diet and fabulous eating habits. 

I love that they are willing to admit that there is always room for improvement but I pray they are not too obsessed about the way they eat because we all know how food habits can trigger eating disorders later in life. (Besides the fact that they were homeschooled at some point in their life will no doubt send alarms up all around them. LOL)   I know they have a good grasp on things but it is a slippery slope sometimes. 

I love my kids and that is a big part of why I do feed them healthy.  I really like to eat healthy.  You really do feel so much better.  I always know when I have been slacking on my fruit and veggie intake as my body is wiped out by end of day. 

I have been very fortunately lately, by way of  some conversations, to be reminded of what a joy and treasure it is to raise children.  As difficult as times can be, it is an honor and a blessing.  

1 comment:

  1. How did you keep your cool with that second doctor? I can just picture the scene, and I am proud of Abs and I was not even there! I wish my kids had "food guilt." They want more and more sweets, I feel such a tyrant sometimes. Glad the visits went good. I hope you got to come home and relax.

    ReplyDelete

2023 in Pictures