Thursday, March 11, 2010

What to do for school?!?

As you read earlier this week, I was in need of reminding that things that are worthwhile are often more challenging.   The major frustration has been coming due my wonderful, beautiful, and talented daughter.   I am trying to find what works best for her as far as schooling goes.   For those of you that don't know she is dyslexic and dysgraphic.  Upon researching curriculum for her, I realized that she is also dyscalculic.   What the dys' all boil down to is - she has trouble with spelling, writing, and math.   Talk about your challenges.  (And I don't mean mine - I mean hers!)   One of the articles I was reading put it this way, at least where math is concerned,   "Math stands at the gate of her goals wielding its wicked sword."  I never thought of it that way!   It really helps to be able to relate to what she is going through.   I know she gets frustrated, rightly so, but often times I think she does it to give up.  Boy am I ever so wrong.  In her brain she actually wants to accomplish it!!!   I know I will keep homeschooling her but finding what really works will prove to be the task.

Stephen has mixed emotions about what to do.  I know he eventually wants to be back in school and I am okay with that, it is just when does he go.   I know some of his struggles are due to the frustrations from his sister.  I would really like one more year with him home.  I know next year will be sooooooo much better when we buy a house and are able to settle into our home.  I am still torn what curriculum to choose for him too.

Joshua wants to stay at home and I am okay with that.  He is a pretty easy kid and fairly good worker.   I just need to find something for him with writing as he is not a big fan.   Math comes super easy for him.  He is currently working a grade ahead.  I fear that next year might be too challenging for him as vocabulary gets harder.   He does computation well enough though.   We shall see.   He still enjoys his history and science.  But part of me would like to change up science.

Oh, I am so confused which way to go.  I like the program we use now, as it is all arranged and thought out for you and therefore very easy planning and even easy to supplement.   However, I also like the freedom to do what we want.  My kids are not big fans of supplementing.  I need to change that.  Just requires some more work on my part and major attitude adjustments on their part.  

Decisions, decisions, decisions!

1 comment:

  1. First of all, I will keep you and Abi in my prayers with the difficulty she is having. Homeschooling can be frustrating enough, but add to that a learning disorder makes things even tougher. You and her will get through this, with more frustration I am sure. But when the lights go off in her head when YOU teach her something new......YOU are the reason for that!!!!

    ReplyDelete

2023 in Pictures