Saturday, January 9, 2010

Summary of the 1st week of 2010 - School week that is!

Okay so on Wednesday we had book club. We are working our way through the Chronicles of Narnia. We complete Voyage of the Dawn Treader book 5. Only 2 more left. I only listened to a portion of this book. So as far as recommending can't help you there. You will need to contact the kids on that one. The really funny thing about this weeks book club was Stacy. A mom to two of the boys that are in the older group. She informed us that she can't stand this series. Yup, she even went so far and used the "hate" word. She was leading the young ones and she even informed them that she hates this series. Some of us are waiting to see what the young ones repeat when we begin the next book. (I should not hear that from Ab as she likes the series. I mostly think it is because she listens to it and doesn't have to read it. Josh on the other hand is not too thrilled with the whole book club idea. So I think the comment would come from him.) But you see there is a family whose 9 year old daughter is extremely negative. I mean I don't recall hearing a positive word out of her mouth. So I feel for that Mom. Back to Stacy - she informed us that her boys are not too thrilled either so she said if we were sticking with another fantasy series they would not be involved. That would stink since her oldest is a buddy of Stephen's and one of the reasons we do this book club. We will take any and all suggestions you may have in regards to a book club for boys ages 10-13.
Thursday was rather shocking as I discovered that Abigail was just clicking off her work and not completing it or not even doing it. I think she was surprised that I was on top of the school work. I was very behind right before the break. But this year I want to stay on top of this and stay on schedule. So imagine her surprise when I called her on it. She lost some privileges here. Namely the chance to horse back ride again. (Silly girl - every time she has gotten close she has messed up big time!) She started back to piano lessons and loved it. The teacher is so impressed with her creativity.
Friday was a pretty good morning and then off to check out a house in the afternoon. Bill was a little late to the house and arrived when the realtor and I were leaving the house. Rick (our realtor) told Bill to get back in his car and keep going. This house was horrible. I was shocked at the price of the house for all that is needed. Rick agreed that it should be about 80 grand lower. I was ready to move on. But the upside to this was Bill and I got to have lunch together. That makes two times this week!!! I love it!!! We even stopped by this cute coffee shop. I enjoyed the setting and plan on stopping back there. Night time was youth group for Stephen. He needed to attend due to the meeting for the Belize trip.

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow that Mom's comment was a little inappropriate. I can see commenting to the other parents that you don't like the series but in front of the kids, not so much.

    I don't know much about books for boys in that age group but I have heard from a few different people that the Lemony Snicket Series of Unfortunate Events Series is good so maybe check that out?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree, kinda rude. Peter and the Starcathers is a good series also.

    ReplyDelete

2023 in Pictures