Thursday, August 20, 2009

That's my story and I'm sticking with it!

As I mentioned in an earlier blog my parents took my kids on Monday night in order to go up to Jones Beach in NY for the day Tuesday.   At 9:30 pm I decided to call to see how the day had gone for everyone involved.   I called my Dad on his cell and they were still driving home.   He had said everything went well especially when Stephen rescued Pop-pop (him).   I think he is referring to the ocean as my Dad is not a strong swimmer.   Uh no, he proceeds to tell me how he and Stephen were carrying the cooler and he felt lightheaded and had to stop.   But it was too late as in minutes he passed out.  My cousin JeanMarie (who met them at the beach as she lives very close) started yelling for help and grabbed her cell phone to call 911.   (They put her on hold).   My Mom also starts yelling for help.  (A nice family came over with water bottles and were pouring water all over my Dad.)   Stephen ran to the lifeguards and told them that a man had passed out and it may have been his heart.  By the time Stephen got back to where my Dad was the paramedics (who work at first aid at the beach) were working on him and he was even awake and responsive.  They took him to the little room that they have on the boardwalk to make sure he was okay.   They even suggested he go to the ER but he refused.  You see he did not want to spoil the kids' day at the beach!    

The younger ones were down by the water and did not see any of this take place.   They only saw all the people around my Dad and he assured them that he was okay.   For the rest of the day my Stephen did not leave Pop-pop's side.   He stayed with him the entire day.  And when Joshua came out of the water he moved his chair right next to Pop too!   

The title is because me Dad was staying that the cooler knocked him out!  Which it did!   He tried to pull and carry this very big double cooler that was loaded with all their drinks, food, and ice!  We need to continually remind that man that he is no spring chicken!    I saw him work too hard when we were packing up the house!    I know we all tend to forget that as we get older  we are unable to do all that we once could.  But he did put a little fear in my kids.   Thankfully all ended very well.

They do have a doctor's appointment set up for Thursday evening and they will be getting an EKG done to make sure all is well and normal.  

1 comment:

  1. What a scary day for Stephen! But what a mature way that he handled everything, you got a good boy there! And I will pray your Dad's appointment goes well and I am glad he is feeling better!

    ReplyDelete

2023 in Pictures