Saturday, May 23, 2009

New York City


(A note - there are no pictures attached yet
I need for Bill to set them up as he took the
photos with his camera.  When I have access
I will post them separately and only photos.)
Sorry!!!  :)
Yes, we ventured into NYC today.  What a great day it was!  On the ride home Friday I asked Bill if we could "do" something and after throwing around some ideas we finally agreed on NYC.  You see the kids have been wanting to visit the Museum of Natural History ever since they saw Night at the Museum.  So last night upon arriving here and doing a little unpacking, we rented the movie (as Bill and I have not seen it).  

We woke up early with Bill making us some eggs and bacon on an english muffin.  I was able to only have one cup of tea.  (Doctor will be so proud.)    Bill had no coffee.  Off to the train station.  Purchased our tickets and waited for the train.  Oh, I should back up, before we left apartment we went over some much needed rules for the young ones.  We knew in all the excitement someone would wander off.  Train was pretty crowded.   We had to split up for seating but all went well.   Bill sat with the young ones.  Stephen and I got to sit together.   

When we got into Penn Station we were all thirsty.  We each received a beverage and then off to the subway to get uptown to the museum.   I think the kids liked the subway better than the train ride.   The stop leads you directly into the museum.  You never even have to go outside if you don't want to.  When we were waiting in line, Bill remembered that he should have a corporate discount.  We got out of line and went to customer service.  We all got in for FREE!!!!   I was in a tizzy.  

We found a guard and he suggested you start from the top floor and work your way down to the bottom.  So that is what we did.  4th floor here we come.   There were only so many dinosaur bones one could look at.  All cool and some even interesting but they got old quick - for me!

The third floor brought some Indians, other Native peoples, and African Mammals.  I think the kids liked the mammals the best where I preferred learning about the different peoples and their respective cultures.

By this point we stopped for a much needed snack and beverages.   Then it was off to the second floor.  On this floor were more different peoples and mammals.  This is also the main entrance level.  Where you get to walk through the Rotunda.  We spotted the butterfly part and wanted to go in but found we needed a separate ticket so we declined.  Abs was a little sad so we went off to the minerals and gems section for appease her.

That brought us to the 1st floor.  Saw more mammals, and the hall of human origins.  This hall was not our center of focus as I know better than the beliefs that are stressed at this type of venue.  I did not evolve from an ape!!   Onward to the minerals.  She had a field day.  We could not contain her.  She was running between every display that I really lost track of her.  Thankfully there is a center area and we were able to catch and glimpse of her and slow her down.   By now it was late and we were tired and hungry.  

Left the museum and journeyed outdoors so kids could "see" NYC.   Back on the subway to head back to Penn Station area.  We walked about 40 minutes here trying to find a nice place to sit and relax.  Finally found Brother Jimmy's BBQ.   A combination of City BBQ, Hoggies, and Lulu's.   We were seated upstairs and when I went off to the bathroom I realized we were right across the street from Penn Station.  We literally walked in a square.   HAHAHAHAHA!!  The food was very enjoyable, I would venture to even say better than aforementioned restaurants.  

The desserts were yummy.  Then back to wait for train home. We timed perfectly.  We were only waiting for 5 minutes when they announced our train and track.   We got to ride on the new double decker train.  Sat upstairs.  Fun, fun, fun!  A great way to end a perfect day.  

By 8:35p I was crawling into bed.  Can anyone say exhausted?!?   The kids were still awake just starting a video.  So I kept myself awake and when video was over they hit the pillows hard.   About 10:30p Bill and I were in slumberville too!!!

1 comment:

  1. I am tired just reading ALL you did! Haha! So glad you all hade a great day! I cannot wait to see all the pictures!

    ReplyDelete

2023 in Pictures