Monday, April 26, 2010

Sunday with Abigail

Abigail and I had the opportunity to go out to eat together after church.  We went to Panera.  Yup, a second visit for me there.  I really enjoy the food there.  And yes, I did get the Cuban sandwich and Black Bean soup again.   When I like something, I can eat almost every day!  I just really like the flavor.  Abigail loves Chicken noodle soup!    The place was pretty clouded for a rainy Sunday afternoon.  But we were able to find a nice little spot tucked away in a corner.  

We had a really good time talking and sharing some things!  It is so much fun to connect with each child and really allow her/him to feel special!   We laughed and talked and just really enjoyed our time with each other.

Upon leaving the gentleman sitting near us admitted to hearing our conversation and asked me how I "did it" - raise her to me so articulate.  You see he is a father of two young daughters, one of which is about to enter school and he just wanted to know any advice.   (He is a teacher at a private school.)   He noticed that we prayed and that we talked about the Bible and he heard Abs talking about her love - anything nature - and he really admired it.

Of course I informed him that we are a homeschool family.  Not to discourage him, I went on to tell him that I believe the "secret" is to allow each child to feel special.  Allow each child a voice! Allow each child to be who she/he wants to be!!!  

I have said before that I don't "get" Abigail at times, and it was in that moment that I realized that that is okay.  Just so long as I allow her the freedom to explore what she loves!    Now don't mistake that don't "get" with lack of love.  Because I do love her to pieces and will take you out if you harm or hurt her in any way!!!!  I just feel that as parents we have these ideas as to how our child(ren) should be and when we stifle any part of who they want to be, we are creating an unhealthy self-esteem for that child. 

To sum it all up - let each member of your family be who they want to be.  Encourage them with a loving environment and they will surprise you as to who they become.

1 comment:

  1. You are right, great advice!! I am laughing about the taking your arm out comment, cus' I know you will!

    It is so great to get time alone with each child. I need to do that more, they really feel so special when we do!

    ReplyDelete

2023 in Pictures